April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month
Posted in: Education and Advocacy
Date: April 1, 2019
Today is the first day of National Child Abuse Prevention Month. As you know, MCAP fights child abuse every month, every day, every year. This fight is the reason we exist. Since our founding in 2004, we have helped more than 6,000 children in Montgomery County to escape the horrors of abuse, neglect, and trafficking by providing them with their own lawyer, free of charge, to help them navigate the legal process and social service agencies.
MCAP can only fight child abuse with your help – whether you volunteer, attend an event, share our blogs and social media posts, or make a charitable contribution. As a small nonprofit organization with only four full-time staff, we need all levels and types of support – and every amount of time and money is significant.
We have lots of activities and information-sharing lined up for the month – both in person and on-line – and would love for you to participate. Please mark your calendars and click that share button!
- Tuesday, 4/2, Noon: Our month-long 5-minute Tuesday Thoughts Facebook Live series kicks off with a behind-the-scenes look at MCAP with our Program Coordinator and every MCAP advocate’s best friend, Pat Teaford. #tuesdaythoughts
- Friday, 4/5, 11:30am: MCAP Wear Blue on the Steps! All are welcome to this first annual event to send the message that Montgomery County does not tolerate child abuse. Wear blue, the color of prevention, and join us on the steps of the Montgomery County Courthouse for speakers County Commissioner Val Arkoosh, MCAP Board member and Survivor Advocate Sarah Klein, MCAP Board President and Patriarch Foundation Trustee Kathleen Imbesi, and MCAP Executive Director Mary Pugh, a group photo, MCAP information, and give-aways. Click for directions and for more info. #mcapwearblue
- Friday, 4/5, 12:30pm: Our annual Appreciation Lunch! Directly following MCAP Wear Blue on the Steps, MCAP advocates, stakeholders, and VIPs are invited to join us for a luncheon at the Montgomery Bar Association. This event is invitation only.
- Monday, 4/8: Our Monday Motivation series Why I Give To MCAP shines the spotlight on our donors! The series asks donors why giving to MCAP is important to them. It kicks off with Dwight Crawford, a sustaining donor. On Facebook, Twitter, and here on our our blog. #MondayMotivation #whyigivetomcap
- Monday, 4/8: Heather Evans, MCAP’s Director of External Relations, will attend the Crime Victims’ Rights Rally in Harrisburg, hosted by the Office of the Victim Advocate. Look for social media posts from the rally on Facebook, Twitter #pavictimadvocate
- Tuesday, 4/9, Time TBD: Our Tuesday Thoughts Facebook Live series continues with MCAP staff attorney, Cindy Bayshore, about what it’s like to meet child clients. #tuesdaythoughts
- Tuesday, 4/9, 5:30-9pm: MCAP staff attends WOAR’s “Bridge of Courage” to support one of our superheroes Tracy Davidson as she receives the 2019 Carole Johnson Humanitarian Award. Click here to get tickets. #TracyDavidson #MCAPsuperhero
- Wednesday, 4/10, 8:30am-4:30pm: MCAP offers our full-day training The Art of Representing Children for PA lawyers who wish to become MCAPs. At the Montgomery Bar Association. Call Pat Teaford with questions and/or to RSVP (610-279-1219), or RSVP by clicking here:
- Wednesday, 4/10, 5:30-7pm: Please join us for Healing from Child Abuse: Stories of Triumph, a panel discussion MCAP is co-hosting with John J. Peters Institute at PHMC’s Conference Center (Centre Square, 1500 Market Street) featuring Sarah Klein, the first known victim of former USA Gymnastics Team doctor Larry Nassar, and some of JJPI’s former clients who have amazing stories of healing. The event is free, but registration is required – please click here #SarahKlein #MCAPsuperhero
- Friday, 4/12: TGIF! Look right here on our blog for information that supports you in protecting the children in your life while they’re having fun being kids. #fridayfun #TGIF #mcapkids
- Monday, 4/15: Monday Motivation series Why I Give To MCAP with long-time MCAP donor, Michael Haines of Waverly Custom Homes.
On Facebook, Twitter, and here on our our blog. #MondayMotivation #whyigivetomcap
- Tuesday, 4/16, time TBD: Tuesday Thoughts Facebook Live with Board President Kate Imbesi. #tuesdaythoughts
- Friday, 4/19: More #TGIF tips for protecting kids on our blog! #fridayfun #mcapkids
- Sunday, 4/21: Happy Easter from all of us at MCAP!
- Monday, 4/22: Monday Motivation series Why I Give To MCAP with major donor Barbara Krancer. On Facebook, Twitter, and here on our our blog. #MondayMotivation #whyigivetomcap
- Tuesday, 4/23, time TBD: Tuesday Thoughts with MCAP Senior Staff Attorney Sharon Hofer. #tuesdaythoughts
- Wednesday, 4/24, 5:30-7pm: Happy Hour for MCAP with the Young Lawyers Section of the Montgomery Bar Association at Conshohocken Brewing in Bridgeport! To get on the list to receive an invitation, please email Heather at email@example.com.
- Friday, 4/26: More #fridayfun tips on our blog! #TGIF #mcapkids
- Monday, 4/29: The final post in our Monday Motivation series Why I Give To MCAP with a Run For The Hill Of It racer of 30 years, Ralph McKinney. On Facebook, Twitter, and here on our our blog. #MondayMotivation #whyigivetomcap
- Tuesday, 4/30, time TBD: Wrapping up our Tuesday Thoughts Facebook Live series – and National Child Abuse Prevention Month – with Executive Director Mary Pugh. #TuesdayThoughts
Thank you for supporting MCAP – during National Child Abuse Prevention Month and year-round.
If you would like to support our work with a financial contribution, please click here to make your secure donation on our website. All amounts help.
Together we can protect the children in our community and prevent child abuse.
Please consider sharing this post!